I recently attended Gallup's (you know, the pollsters) Strengths-Based Leadership Workshop for USC Business School students and alumni, and took the StrengthsFinder test. The results show that my top five dominant themes of talent (of the 34 measured) are:
Ideation; Connectedness; Relator; Individualization; Positivity
I'm still learning what all that means, but simply stated my natural strengths fall in two main categories: strategic thinking and relationship building. In other words, ideas and how various disparate things connect turn me on. I like building deep relationships and can clearly spot the distinct qualities that make you special. And I'll usually defend the silver lining and show you where you misplaced the half full glass.
Here's a list of a few more of my talents just in case that initial top five made you yearn for more.
- I'm easily amused and you're certain to get a laugh from me, even if you toss me a mediocre joke.
- I have a diverse and discerning palate, so I enjoy most food and drink. And I like to keep it healthy.
- My butternut squash soup is excellent!
- I'm versatile and comfortable in many settings: a glamorous affair; meeting new people at events, work and play; lectures or art exhibits; traveling domestically or abroad; movies and concerts; sporting events; hanging out with friends or at home.
- You'll see my passion from things that excite me, big and small: a delicious glass of wine, a hearty laugh, revolutionary technology, rooting for the underdog, certain political hot buttons, creativity and innovation.
I wanted to lead with those things I do well because there are some weaknesses I must warn you about.
- I like to eat off others' plates; I do it unconsciously sometimes. Sharing is caring, right? I'm getting better because I'm aware of the issue, and that's half the battle.
- I'm a horrible singer but do it anyway.
- I can't remember a joke and usually mess up the punch line. But I heard one a few hours ago that I have to spit out right now before I forget: How much did the pirate pay to get his ears pierced? A buccaneer! Ha! Yes, I laughed when I heard it!
- I don't do rollercoasters and oftentimes begin screaming before even taking off. No horror movies either.
- If I'm a passenger in the car, I sometimes startle the driver because I always gasp -- typically signifying 'Oh no, watch out for that car!' or some other emergency -- if I see something unique, amazing, pretty, or weird during our commute.
Enough about me. Let's talk about your wonderful traits and what you value. Kindness is king. Chemistry is craving. Intelligence is insanely intriguing. Fun is flirtatious and fantastic. Accountability is applauded. Intimacy is involved and instinctual. Spirituality is supernatural, scientific. Passionate partnership is plausible. Trust is truth. Lastly, love is longstanding.
Compatible temperaments are also important. And letting people just be who they are is essential. Not in the "I'm always a jerk or bitchy and that's the way I am so deal with it" kind of way. But definitely in the "I appreciate our differences, enjoy our similarities, see your quirks, and still think you're pretty awesome" kind of way.
Challenge: You get bonus points if you can guess where my user name comes from. There are a couple of clues in my profile.