"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day.... "Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you...." "Does it hurt?" "Sometimes." For he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt." "Does it happen all at once, like being wound up, or bit by bit?" "It doesn't happen all at once. You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't often happen to people who have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand." ....once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always."
"The Velveteen Rabbit", by Margery Williams
- Born in the year of the Tiger.
- Virginia Gentleman, transplanted to California. Have lived in Europe, Asia, and on both US coasts.
- Take my responsibilities very seriously. Take myself much less so. A sense of humor that sees the irony in our lives. So why is it that we park in the driveway and drive on the parkway?
- Still have all my teeth, most of my hair, and four eyes. Not too shabby or loose in the joints.
- If I had a theme song, it would be "Still Crazy After All These Years" by Paul Simon.
- Active in my professional association. Volunteer my time mentoring outstanding youth in a leadership- and character-development program.
- This gentleman prefers brunettes, but never judges a book by its cover. Once had a crush on an emerald-eyed blonde. Go figure.
- Looking for REAL; and a reason to cancel my subscription.