The PAST: Thoreau said, "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." I'm working on it. I remember hearing about the concept of the Renaissance man in school and decided that seemed like a pretty cool gig and exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up. Surprisingly, there were no listings for "Renaissance woman" so instead I became a doctor- along with a few dozen other trades along the way. Good times.
The PRESENT: Community, beneficence, optimism… these are things I value most. Having recently relocated to Pensacola without knowing anyone, community is what I long for the most. It’s much harder to make friends in your 30s than it was in school. So if you know of any good local kickball games, hash harrier runs, or want to get out go kayaking or otherwise explore this local paradise of Pensacola let me know. “Let us live deliberately and deep and suck out all the marrow out of life, and not, when we come to die, discover that we had not lived.” (rephrasing) Thoreau, again- I know, blame my 10 grade Lit teacher.
The FUTURE: I have seen enough and done enough to know that anything is possible if the desire is there. I am most passionate about making the most out of my life and having a positive impact on the lives of others. It's cliche but simply put: I want to help make the world a better place. The ideal future I’m imagining now involves lots of travel, and ER-type medicine and goodwill along the way. Eventually though I want to set down roots, open a community center/ clinic, serve a need and build people up. I want to have the house with the screen door that’s always open, kids and friends running in and out. It takes a community to raise a child they say. Noisy dinners at a big table (I can cook!). And then settling down at the end of the day on the porch to watch the fireflies over the water, and looking at this man –my man- this, now old, man- sitting in his rocker beside me wrinkled and worn but seeing the young man he was. And having known and grown and loved with him –earning every wrinkle and story-- along the way. If you can understand this, lets talk.
These are a few of my favorite things:
- Learning new skills/hobbies and adding another tool to my metaphorical belt.
- Creating. I do photos, stained glass, painting, decorating, gardening, sewing. This would be my Ying side. Music, Carpentry, electronics, fishing? I’m terrible at it. You could be my Yang.
- Reunions with friends (we have an annual snowboarding trip- best times ever!)
- Working in a career that has me privy to a person’s most personal moments and fears, and being able to offer empathy, knowledge and hope.
- Rocking out on the treadmill and practicing all those moves I see in the rock videos, until I look like Brad Pitt’s character in “Burn after Reading” and people start to stare.
- The deep bluegreen color of the ocean at 60ft.
- My parent's unconditional love and support
- For my grandmother's example of a strong and generous matriarch and my grandfather's intellectual curiosity, kindness and infectious Laugh!
- Seeing someone taking pride in their work.
- Rollerblading like THE WIND down the Beach. versus rollerblading AGAINST the wind :( boo
I AM LOOKING FOR: I would love to meet someone who is driven and actively working to realize their ambition. The most important thing I am looking for in a man is Trust and openness. I'm easy going, quick to trust and I'm not much for games. The single life's been fun, but I'm looking for something more substantial. If you’re just out here to hook-up and imagine yourself a Player I would rather ask that you move on. BUT… Passion, Kindness, Humor- if these make your world go round, give me a call.