It's often been said -- and is cheesy as hell -- but I think this is true: You can't find the person you're really looking for until you are happy and content within yourself, by yourself. I'm closer to that point than I've ever been in my life, and it feels great.
A few examples of what I've learned about myself in the past year:
- I like art museums. Not just the concept of them, if that makes any sense. I love nerdy stuff like going to artists' lectures, hearing about how they came up with their ideas. That stuff fascinates me.
- I'm a loyal Ticketchick. (Google it if you've never heard of the radio station.)
- I think I have an art exhibit of my own in my future. Shh, don't tell anybody!
- Learning to cook can be both relaxing and stimulating. I'm a big fan of Julia Child's original cookbook these days. And I believe butter is 100 times healthier than I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.
- There's nothing more life-affirming, in my opinion, than finishing a really, really hard workout and grabbing the water as you attempt to breathe normally again. It's the best feeling of accomplishment and endorphin rush ever.
- I'd rather take a ballroom dance class with strangers than sit in a bar with acquaintances, getting wasted. Not that that doesn't have its time and place! :) But just on occasion.
- I've discovered the joy of a really great glass of wine, so now I can't ever go back to the cheap stuff again. Darn.
- I love to laugh, so I love people who make me laugh.
OK, I'll stop there because it feels so self-indulgent. But when realize who you really are, it's probably helpful to include some of the highlights on your dating profile. :)
So what do I want? I want to find someone who makes my heart do a little dance every time I think about him. And I've found guys like that in my dating adventures -- so I know it's possible -- but they ended up not being the right fit. This is all a lot more complicated than I'd assumed it would be. Right? There are so many elements that go into finding "the one." But I remain optimistic!
In the immortal words of Aerosmith, all I want is someone I can't resist. Hopefully that's not too much to ask. :)